Loading

The Convent

The villa, located on the left side of the Valle del Vigi, takes its name from an ancient source, Premula Water, used for centuries in the stones, disease called by the people of Premiti place. The water, which springs directly from a cleft of the rock, since 1974 is bottled under the trademark FONTE TVLLIA.

Around the year 1000, the villa was built the oratory of a monastic cell dedicated to St. Nicholas of Bari, the cult introduced in Valnerina by Syrian monks and eastern (St. Nicolaus Acquae Premulae vel Vallis Primulae Vigi) . Sin from the Middle Ages you have news of an intense monastic life in this place, under the guidance of an abbot. From this it stemmed not only a consistent development of economic activities and settlements, but also an inevitable increase in the ecclesiastical order, contributing to the emergence of new pievane locations. Subsequently, in 1115, the Bishop of Spoleto, Enrico Gualfredo, donated the chapel, the Benedictine abbot Leto; the oratory passed well to the Benedictine monks of Sant’Eutizio of Valcastoriana.

Visit Lascaris in the September 10, 1713, Msgr. Lascaris, then Bishop of Spoleto, recalling the origins of St. Nicholas of Premula Water, also reports that in this hermitage, at the end of the fifth century, took shelter San Severino, before take the episcopal dignity. A mid-sixteenth century, the Benedictines donated the church to the Capuchin Friars. The first records date back to 1568. The Capuchins, starting from 1624, built the Convent, next to the existing church. Completion of the work, the place took the name of Convento Premula Water, on the orders of the provincial minister. Confirmation of this donation will have in 1253 in a bull of Bishop Bartholomew Accoramboni and in 1424 by Pope Martin. Date back to the Benedictine period, the Byzantine crypt and Romanesque Church.

Powered by themekiller.com